We built our API to be open and ready to serve new ideas as fast as our brilliant customers can dream them up. We have API documentation here to teach you the basics, but we also wanted to give you this checklist so you can make sure you’re following our tried-and-true best practices.
- Use a unique account and API key for each integration. Each time you use the API for a new purpose (i.e. social publishing tool integration, a share tool on your website, etc.), create a dedicated BudURL account for that API integration. Each account will be assigned a unique API key, which you can find on the Account Settings page. This will make reporting simple and straightforward in the long run, since you’ll easily see which integrations generated which links.
- Sign up for API notifications. Sign up for API notifications on the API documentation page. This will enable us to send you important information on updates we make to our API.
- Use a different API key for each domain. If you have multiple domains in your BudURL account (i.e. go.mywebsite.com, mywebsite.me, etc.), you will need to use a different API key for each domain. You can find these by going to Account Settings and toggling between your domains.
- Use SSL for all requests.
- Never publish your API key or share it insecurely. Do not send API keys in emails, or share them publicly in any way. If you feel your API key has been potentially compromised, please let us know and we will generate a new one for you.
Looking for new ways to save time with our API?
Here are several of our favorite API tricks from some clever BudURL clients and partners. If you’re still looking for inspiration, check out our article on 5 Popular Ways to use the BudURL API for developers.
Share Tools - You can call our API to generate short links for many different types of share tools. For example, encourage your audience to share your blog content on social media. Alternatively, you can use our API to generate a unique short URL for each user on your system, thus creating a referral system. Some of our clients also send these generated short links in SMS to broaden their reach.
Statistics - The BudURL API plays well with others, such as our social publishing partner Spredfast, which frequently calls our API to create and pull statistics.
Real-time Reporting - As my colleague Cortnee mentioned in her API blog, one of the most interesting ways to use our API is to monitor clicks to current campaigns in real-time. Project it on the walls of your social hub to see your traffic soar!
If you need help implementing these best practices for your organization, please contact us here.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on additional best practices in the comments below!